Losing a tooth can be quite upsetting as it could affect the aesthetics and functionality of the mouth. It can also change the way you bite and chew food. Losing a single tooth due to causes such as oral trauma, decay, or other oral infections is troublesome enough. Losing multiple teeth can completely ruin your smile and alter your facial aesthetics significantly. Thanks to prosthetic dentistry, various treatments are now available to replace some or all of the mouth’s missing teeth, one of them being dentures. Our dentures in Ogden, Utah, are oral prosthetics used to restore a large number of missing teeth and are usually made of either composite resin or porcelain and have a gum-colored base that holds the artificial teeth. They replace missing teeth, thus maintaining your bite’s alignment and preventing other teeth from drifting to the missing tooth gap.
What are Dentures?
Dentures are a form of a removable prosthetic device intended to replace missing teeth. They resemble natural teeth and are custom-made from casts taken from the patient’s mouth. Dentures are typically made from acrylic resin, metal alloys, or porcelain and are held in place by suction or with an adhesive. Depending on the number of missing teeth, they can be full or partial. Complete dentures are worn when all the teeth are missing, while partial dentures are worn when some teeth remain. Dentures can improve the look, feel, and function of a person’s mouth, allowing them to eat, speak, and smile confidently. They should be taken out at night for cleaning and need to be replaced every 5-10 years as they wear out.
Types of Dentures
- Partial Dentures: We use partial dentures to restore just a few particular missing teeth. They are the best option when the patient still has a considerable number of teeth intact.
- Complete Dentures: We use full dentures to restore all the teeth in the mouth and recommend them to patients who have lost all their teeth.
Advantages of Getting Dentures
- By replacing the missing teeth, dentures make a face look fuller. The dentures will help your cheeks and chin regain their ideal shape, helping you maintain a more youthful appearance.
- Dentures help in restoring the functionality of the mouth.
- As dentures are removable prostheses, they can be removed and put back on when required. For example, you can clean dentures by taking them off and cleaning them using a regular soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Dentures are made from durable ceramic and acrylic that won’t wear or break while biting and chewing food.
- Dentures can be customizable per the patient’s requirement, giving them the perfect fit.
- We use partial dentures to restore just a few missing teeth as well.
- Dentures help restore oral aesthetics, as the acrylic mimics the gums and the dental-grade ceramic teeth look natural.
- Loose dentures can easily be re-contoured by a dentist.
- Dentures are an excellent way to restore multiple teeth.
How can you get Customized Dentures?
During your initial consultation, we will take precise digital scans of your mouth to determine your candidacy for dentures. These impressions also serve as a reference for fabricating dentures. We will send them to a dental laboratory, where they will be fabricated in two weeks.
Once dentures are available, the dentist will place them in your mouth and check for fit and comfort.
Dentures in Ogden, UT
Laurence R. Palmer DDS would love to work with you in designing a complete or partial denture that satisfies your unique needs. If you are missing teeth, have difficulty chewing, or are embarrassed by your smile, a denture designed by Dr. Palmer may be the treatment for you. Our goal is to keep you smiling for a lifetime! Schedule an appointment today.